Busted! Don’t Believe These Home Renovation Myths!
Home renovations or remodeling can achieve a whole new look for your home. They also allow you to make your space more comfortable and functional. However, to get the best out of the renovations project, you need to manage it well and understand what you’re doing. This usually calls for the assistance of a professional renovation company.
Unfortunately, many homeowners think of renovations as easy DIY activities. But in reality, renovations involve several challenges and even potential hazards like exposing yourself to asbestos, lead from paint, or mould. When someone is inexperienced in home renovations, it’s quite common to be unaware of these hidden health hazards. This leaves you vulnerable to common construction issues that could compromise the safety of your family at home.
To dispel some of the tall tales about home renovations and help you see why professional services are essential, Power Environmental/Power Vac Services has debunked three of the most widely believed myths about home renovation.
Myth 1: Asbestos was not used after the mid-seventies
In fact, asbestos reached its peak of use in the seventies in home construction. The very first asbestos regulation in Ontario was not even published until 1985. Houses built or renovated before 1990 in Ontario are considered potential sources of asbestos building materials. Suspect materials should be analyzed for asbestos before disturbing the material.
Myth 2: Animal contaminants are not particularly hazardous
This is seriously not true! Animal contaminants can harbor very hazardous fungi, bacteria, and viruses that can cause very serious illnesses in humans. This can be especially true when the fecal matter is dried out and the contaminants can become easily airborne. Materials that have been contaminated by animals, such as insulation with raccoon or squirrel droppings, should only be handled by those trained to do so and with proper personal protective equipment.
Myth 3: Mould is easy to remove and can be done by any general contractor
Wrong! Disturbing mouldy building material can cause a very significant release of mould spores into the air. Depending on the type of spores, the quantity, and the individuals that may be exposed to them, there is a potential of causing very serious illness when mouldy materials are handled incorrectly. Professional mould remediation will allow for proper removal of this material to avoid contamination.
If you’re looking to steer clear of more myths like these, reach out to Power Environmental/Power Vac Services. We are the leading hazardous materials removal and air duct cleaning company in Hamilton, Ontario, serving all types of customers, from small residential clients to multinational companies and corporations since 1966. We operate in both the commercial and residential construction industry doing hazardous material removals such as asbestos, lead, and mould removal, as well as HVAC cleaning. Our services are available to clients across Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville, Haldimand County, Lake Erie, Brantford, Brant County, Niagara Region, and the surrounding areas.