What should I do to prepare for my Air Duct Cleaning?
Can we be at home during the Air Duct Cleaning?
How long does the Air Duct Cleaning process take?
How is the Air Duct Cleaning done?
What kind of equipment do you use for Air Duct Cleaning vacuum system?
Do you sanitize the ductwork?
This is very much dependent on the occupants of the house and the setup of the house. The number of people living in the house, the number of pets, the amount of carpet, the level of activity, etc all contribute to the amount of dust within the house. This household dust then gets draw into the ductwork. Average household maintenance duct cleaning is recommended every 3-5 years. However, some clients with severe allergies find that cleaning once per year is necessary for their wellbeing.
Please ensure each vent is fully accessible for someone to work directly around that area
Ensure the area around the furnace is also fully accessible
Ensure all in-door pets are secure before the technician arrives.
Reserve parking directly in front of the property (in driveway or on the same side of the street) as close to the access as possible that will be used for accessing the furnace area.
Yes absolutely! While there is noise associated with the cleaning, we do not require anyone to leave the house. You are most welcome to go about your day as normal, providing we can have access to each of the vent areas.
This will be dependent on the size of the house and condition of the ductwork. An average house between 1000 and 2000 sq ft with ductwork in reasonable shape should take an average of 1 ½ to 2 hours on site.
Power Vac uses a system of high volume suction combined with high pressure compressed air cleaning. The vacuum system is hooked up to the main duct runs. This puts the system under negative pressure and provides the capture location for the material removed from the system. The cleaning is done by tools on the inside of the ductwork driven by high pressure compressed air. These tools agitate the inside of the ductwork and move the dust and debris back towards the vacuum capture system.
Power Vac has both truck mounted equipment as well as portable systems. This allows us the flexibility to provide service to more clients. The portable systems we use are still high powered and are able to be located much closer to the furnace hookup in most instances. Both systems are designed to do a great job. However, the portable system allows us to provide services where the large vacuum truck just does not work. Places like high rise condos, areas with restricted parking or difficult access are all workable with the portable system!
We can do it, but we REALLY do not recommend it as a general rule. Many companies will sell this as a “part of the service”. However, this is not an environmentally sound practice. Biological agents should NEVER be overused. When they are overused, they become ineffective and cannot do a sufficient job when they are really needed. Material present in your ductwork will be removed with proper duct cleaning.
Should I clean my dryer exhaust ductwork?
How often should I get dryer exhaust ductwork cleaned?
Yes this is highly recommended. Dryer fires can start in a duct that has a build up of dryer lint. Cleaning on a regular basis helps reduce the likelihood of dryer fires and helps the dryer work much more efficiently saving money on cost of running the dryer!
This is very much dependent on the usage of the dryer. Average is every 1-2 years.
Where can I find information on asbestos removal requirements in Ontario?
Can I remove asbestos material myself?
I have already removed some asbestos material. What do I do with it now?
Some asbestos material has been disturbed at my site. What do I do now?
What materials contain asbestos?
How can you tell if a material contains asbestos?
How long was asbestos used in building materials?
Do I need to leave my property/building when asbestos is being removed?
Asbestos is a designated substance in Ontario. It is a known carcinogen and should only be removed by a qualified abatement contractor.
Asbestos material in Ontario must be disposed of at a landfill that has Ministry of Environment approval to accept asbestos waste. Transport to one of these facilities can only be completed by a carrier approved by the Ministry of Environment with a proper bill of lading.
Each situation is different depending on the extent of the disturbance, where it occurred and the length of time since the disturbance took place. A consultant may be required to determine the potential for contamination and the requirement for cleanup. This requires individual phone discussion to determine the next steps. Power Environmental/Power Vac Services can provide this service at no cost.
There are so many building materials that have the potential to contain asbestos. Some of the most common ones are:
Vinyl floor tile and its mastic (glue)
Vinyl sheet flooring (linoleum)
Texture coat finishes (popcorn ceiling)
Drywall joint compound
Boiler and hot water heating pipe insulation
HVAC duct insulation
The ONLY way to determine for certain that a material contains asbestos is to have it tested in a laboratory. In Ontario, the minimum number of samples required for testing in most cases is 3, with the exception of plaster where it can be 3, 5 or 7. There are some materials that may be ASSUMED to contain asbestos though as they are consistently found to contain asbestos. These are things like certain pipe insulation, duct insulation and flooring.
The first asbestos regulation in Ontario was not published until 1985, and restricted the use of asbestos material installation. However, asbestos material has been found in building materials well beyond this time frame (into the 1990s). Asbestos in building material reached is peak of use from the 1905s to the 1970s. Buildings built or renovated during this time frame have a high likelihood of containing asbestos containing materials.
There should be no reason that you cannot be on site during asbestos removal work if space allows for access to an area outside the containment structure. Proper asbestos procedures protect the location outside the removal area from contamination.
What causes mould?
How does mold grow?
How can I tell if I have mould issue?
How do I keep mould from growing in my building?
Does mould always have a smell?
Can I remove mould myself?
I used a chemical to kill the mould. Isn’t that enough?
Mould must always have a food source and a source of moisture in order to grow. The food source will need to be organic matter of some sort. In a building, this can be as simple as items like cardboard boxes, drywall with paper backing, plywood, etc. The source of moisture can be from a flood, a leak, or even excess humidity. Mould spores are always present in the air. If both the food source and sufficient moisture are available, mould is likely to grow.
Mold reproduces using the production of small spores. These spores can be compared to the seeds of a plant, though they are much smaller than seeds. Mold spores can survive environments that don’t support normal mold growth. They will become dormant. They will only start to grow once they land in an environment with suitable water, food, temperature, and oxygen.
Large mold infestations can usually be seen or smelled.
Here are some important steps to take:
Inspect building for evidence of water damage and visible mold as part of routine building maintenance.
Correct conditions causing mold growth (e.g., water leaks, condensation, infiltration, or flooding) to prevent mold growth.
Control humidity levels
Promptly fix leaky roofs, windows, and pipes;
Thoroughly clean and dry after flooding;
Ventilate shower, laundry, and cooking areas.
NO- The smell is generated by MVOCs (Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds). Not all molds generate MVOCs, and even molds that do generate MVOC's don't do so all the time. Therefore a mould issue can exist with no noticeable smell.
Yes, in certain circumstances- Small areas of mould less than 10 sq ft (1 sq meter) can generally be completed without professional remediation. This would include things like cleaning mould from window sills, a small patch on a ceiling, etc. Areas greater than 10 sq ft should be completed by a qualified remediation contractor.
Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions in some people, so it is not enough to simply kill the mold, it must also be removed